So far, I have completed a little over one week of the Paleo diet. It has definitely been an interesting experience, and here are some things I have learned so far:
- Don’t eat too many nuts. I learned this lesson within the first two days. I was looking for something to eat late at night and decided to go with pistachios. I ate quite a few and was feeling full, satiated, and content. That is, until the next morning. Without getting into too much detail, let’s just say there were a few trips to the toilet. I still eat nuts, but definitely in more moderation.
- It is boring! The paleo diet is not one for the flavor guru. I pretty much eat fruits, vegetables, nuts, eggs, and lean meat, and I am limited in the spices and herbs I can use. There isn’t a whole lot of flavor, and after I eat the same thing, it starts to get extremely repetitive.
- Learn to say no. While doing the paleo diet, I have really honed by usage of this word. Delicious food…no. Tasty snack…no. Anything remotely other than paleo…no. It almost becomes an instinct, and it’s required to survive.
- I crave Mexican food. It’s literally all I want, everyday. I wouldn’t be surprised if I start dreaming of dancing burritos, fajitas, and nachos in my sleep. While I have to postpone my favorite food for 3+ more weeks, I can promise you that on December 24 I will have more than my fair share.
- Take it day by day. This has been the biggest help for me. If I try to think of it as one, big, 31 day challenge, it starts to seem too big to handle and extremely imposing. However, when I think that all I have to do is make it through one day, I know I can do that. I just have to make it through the rest of the day and it will be ok. Then I wake up and do the same thing all over again. When I break it down into a day by day battle, it’s manageable.
I am hoping that the first week is the hardest and that I will start to get used to it through the rest of the experiment. Regardless, this has been a tremendous and challenging experiment so far, and I am excited to see what the rest holds.
Image courtesy of SickestFame